ContentWGnotes_22september2014.docx

DIAGRAM Content WG

9/22/14

Present:

Anh Bui, Bryan Gould, Lucia Hasty, Sue-Ann Ma, Josh Miele, Julie Noblitt, Elaine Ober, Melissa Parkin, Robin Seaman

Regrets:

James Allan, Betsy Beaumon, Suzy Haines, Robert Jaquiss, Rick Johnson, Steven Landau, Steve Noble, Ike Presley, Ron Stewart, Ed Summers

Notes:

1.      Accessible Image Registry/Repository (Anh)

    1. Breakout team met at Airlie to discuss: who are target users? Focus on people who can contribute images or people who can use images? Consensus: Good target is AIM producers who both have a need and may be able to contribute so that we can get critical mass.
      1. Phase I: target AIM producers
      2. Phase II: target teachers
      3. Phase III: target end users of accessible images
    2. Good idea to encourage a phased testing approach – i.e., get end-user feedback during Phase I so that we don’t arrive at Phase III with something that doesn’t work.
    3. Copyright issues? Yes. Affects both metadata and interface. Not resolved yet. Hybrid approach might be good – host the things we do have rights for, link to things we don’t.
    4. Is this part of Poet? No, not necessarily. Repository of alt files, metadata, etc. not part of Poet.
    5. Very important to get the images vetted for quality and usability. Thinking about some kind of crowdsourced user-generated rating system.
    6. Challenges to address: QC, linking to images, discoverability (subject & common core metadata), legal challenges, sustainability.
    7. Phase I main issues: create an MVP (minimum viable product) – repository with critical mass of images that have fewest legal barriers. Thinking of target of 1,000 K-12, common, quality images. Included:
      1. short & long descriptions
      2. tactiles
      3. 3D printer files.
      4. Paradata: reviews, ratings. Consider multiple levels of ratings (e.g. the alt, the metadata, the image itself, etc.)
    8. Next Steps:
      1. Find the images – who has some that we can use?
      2. Where are other collections that we can link to? Should look at what barriers there are in existing collections: lack of standard exchange formats.
      3. Sue-Ann is product lead.
      4. Timeline: design by April 30, 2015. Might get funding to build a prototype. Would love to do some work on UI this year.
      5. Anh, Su-Ann, Josh to try to have lunch soon to discuss learnings that could be applied from video exchange product.
    9. We should break graphics into consistent parts so that they can be reconstructed. Temptation to do printer-ready is strong, but it’s a dead end (analogy: kind of like the way PDF is a dead end but XML has lots of possibilities). Ed Summers may be looking at this too with ChartML.
    10. 1,000 images might be too low for critical mass? What about “a few sets of good books instead? One book can have thousands of images. Yes, but not all those images need alt formats. Maybe focus on key images in a few core disciplines. Or, unique types of images. Add anything from higher ed (101 level basic content)?
    11. Lucia has a collection of brain images – may be good for 3D? But, 3D models don’t have braille labels, which could be a drawback.

2.      NCAM Revised/Expanded Image Description Guidelines (Bryan)

    1. Filled in some gaps in Poet guidelines. Added things like process diagrams (“things with arrows”); chemical elements; bar graphs; insets; nutrition labels. About 2 dozen more examples added, like photos, art, comic strips.
    2. Added cross-referencing too (e.g. insets occur in several contexts). Will be incorporating into next version of Poet (the training module). Won’t require login to see.
    3. Would be great to add to Accessible Image Sample Book, and maybe also as a stand-alone document.
    4. How were these developed? They were based on research at NCAM, textbooks, assessments.
    5. Have the new guidelines been user tested? We always want more feedback and testing!
    6. Bryan will send new guidelines to those on the call for a sneak peek (brand-new, have yet to be reviewed by team at DIAGRAM). Will gather feedback.
    7. Would be great to have a paragraph telling people when to describe and when not to describe – that will be included in the Poet Training Module. Should make sure that’s in the Accessible Image Sample Book too.

3.      BISG (Robin):

    1. Books Industry Study Group meeting in NYC last week. BISG works horizontally through entire publishing ecosystem. They produce field guides and quick-start guides as well. Of 7 priorities, accessibility was #2 on their list. Definitely rising to the surface in mainstream publishing initiatives.
    2. Robin will chair new BISG WG on Accessibility whose goal will be to produce a “Dummies Guide” to accessible publishing. WG should kick off in November. Very new, compiling team of BISG members for it now.
    3. Robin made contact with the director of the ALA, who is very keen to talk more – drawing libraries in will be key.

4.      Accessible Image Sample Book (Elaine):

    1. Ran short of time during this meeting; will take it up next time.
    2. In the meantime, please look at survey results that were attached to meeting agenda and think about what should be added to the next version of the book.

[END OF NOTES]