DIAGRAM Outreach Working Group
Notes from conference call held Monday May 13, 2013 at 11 a.m. Pacific time
Present: Julie Noblitt, Brian MacDonald, Robert Jaquiss, McKenzie Erickson, Natalie Shaheen, Ting Siu, Laurie Vasquez, Jim Allan, Penny Rosenblum
Regrets: Anh Bui, Lore Schindler, Jane Thompson
- Welcome, roll call, introduction of new member, Natalie Shaheen (NFB)
- Welcome guest Penny Rosenblum (Univ of AZ)
- Review of last meeting’s outcomes
- Laurie Vasquez used the DIAGRAM slides and talking points in a presentation to alternate media specialists from across the state and requested feedback, which she will share.
- Gaeir Dietrich, Director of the High Tech Center Training Unit of the California Community Colleges was very interested in DIAGRAM initiatives.
- New business & lookahead to next quarter
- Discussion of Berkeley Library commitment to 5-day turnaround on accessible materials. http://www.dralegal.org/pressroom/press-releases/landmark-agreement-big-step-forward-for-students-with-print-disabilities Likely that they are doing this internally though not clear what the process is. We hear they serve 25-30 visually impaired patrons and 3-4 Braille readers. Hiring extra staff in alt media.
- New training video has been added to DIAGRAM Training Resources page: “Best Practices for Integrating Accessible Images into Ebooks and DTBs” Feel free to share the link with anyone who may be interested: http://www.diagramcenter.org/standards-and-practices/training.html
- Robert Jaquiss created a well-structured accessible Word version of our PowerPoint slide set. Thank you Robert! Slidesets and talking points are available on our WG wiki site.
- Subcontracts: final selections for 2013 should be settled by early summer.
- DIAGRAM working on new prezi/video designed to set context for DIAGRAM work. Will seek input from WG and a variety of stakeholders. Important decisions include:
- Target audience: whole world? Teachers? Policy-makers? Content creators?
- At what level of understanding to do we need to start?
- Length: Shorter is usually better, but if the video is very compelling then going to 4-5 minutes might be ok. Idea of a longer video broken into chapters that could be show separately.
- Call to action: What is the one thing we hope people will do after seeing the video?
- Want this to be a compelling story that conveys what need we are filling – want viewers to have an “aha” moment re: what DIAGRAM is trying to do and how all our initiatives are related.
- Action Items:
- Laurie, let Julie know if there is more information we can send to Gaeir Dietrich.
- Laurie will send feedback on DIAGRAM slide set and talking points from alt media specialists
- Ting will send info about new Berkeley Libraries accessibility initiative.
- Brian will send links to good outreach videos from NBP
- Julie will keep WG apprised of progress on video. Look for upcoming survey for input
- ALL: Please add your ideas, comments, and links to examples of great overview videos by commenting on Ting’s thread “Video Storyboard” on the wiki site at https://wiki.benetech.org/display/out/Home Log in first so that we can see who is commenting. (Let me know if you need a reminder of what your username/password is.)
- Next meeting: August 2013 – Date TBD – Julie will send Doodle to schedule.